Union Tree School of Yoga
300+Hour Teacher Training Program
About Union Tree School of Yoga
The Union Tree School of Yoga (UTSY) was created as a collaborative of teachers with the intention of offering an advanced yoga teacher training resulting in RYT-500 certification. Core Essence Yoga (CEY) and Yama Yoga (YY) studios, both located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, created this alliance. Under UTSY, both CEY and YY offer independently held RYT-200 hour yoga teacher training programs at their own studio locations.
TSY is both a 200-hour and a 300-hour Yoga Alliance Approved School and is registered with the Wisconsin Education Approval Board (WEAB). UTSY students can obtain Yoga Alliance approved RYT-200 and RYT-500 certifications.
Recognizing the drive in students and practicing teachers to learn more, UTSY has put together an offering rich with teachings on human anatomy, kinesiology, yoga asana, yogic philosophy and tradition, yoga as a tool for healing, practices of mindfulness and meditation, and more. Both the 200-hour training and the 300-hour training assume a pedagogical approach, offering in-depth information and thorough instruction accompanied with embodiment practices and guidance toward one's own wealth of knowledge, insight and creativity.
The 200-hour training at each studio is designed for students who wish to deepen their understanding and practice of yoga, or who aspire to teach yoga, or both. No prior certification or experience is required, but a regular practice of yoga and an understanding of asana and basic yoga principles is important.
The 300-hour training is designed for students who have already completed their RYT 200-hour teacher training, and the RYT 500-hour program is 300+ hours of RYT training offered in a modular format, designed to be completed at your own pace, within three years from commencement of your training. Modulars will be offered in the form of weekend intensive workshops and trainings, and as both local and international retreats. Some of these trainings will be open to the public, but UTSY trainees will be required to pay the cost of the training to apply each training toward accreditation. UTSY trainees will also be required to complete required coursework and assignments relevant to the training and certification.
With ample individualized attention and variety in content and course offerings, trainees are provided the opportunity to compose a training that suits their specific interests and needs. Coursework is offered by UTSY faculty, assistants and approved guest teachers.
UTSY 500HR Training
The training is divided into three sections: The Voice of the Teacher, The Wisdom of the Teacher and The Heart of the Teacher, each home to corresponding modules. Trainees have the opportunity to compose their training in choosing their modules, but must complete the allotted amount of modules per section. In addition, students are required to complete one elective module, the seva component and dharma class, ten classes of assisting, and the creation and teaching of one 2hr(+) workshop.
School Facilities and Location
Union Tree School of Yoga will have modules offered abroad and locally in Milwaukee at:
- Core Essence Yoga, 1437 E Brady St, Milwaukee, WI 53202
- Yama Yoga, 231 E. Buffalo St., Milwaukee, WI 53202
Outline of Sections and Modules:
In-person sessions take place on the following Saturdays and Sundays during 2015 and 2016 from 9am - 6pm on the following dates:
- The Voice of the Teacher: 5 Modules
This section of the training is devoted to the body, exploring sciences related, asana, and the physical practice of yoga.
Practicum: Case Studies and 10 Classes of Assistant Teaching and Observing
- The Wisdom of the Teacher: 3 Modules
This section of the training is devoted to the mind, exploring yogic philosophy, history and teaching methodology.
Practicum: Final Project
- The Heart of the Teacher: 3 Modules
This section of the training is devoted to the heart, exploring meditation, yoga for healing, dharma, and seva
Practicum: Case Studies and Dharma Class related to Seva Component
Elective Module: One module to be completed in section of choice
The Union Tree School of Yoga Teacher Training program includes five program disciplines. The full program consists of 300+ hours, 270+ hours are considered “contact“ hours and 30+ hours are considered “non-contact” hours. As defined by Yoga Alliance, a contact hour is a classroom hour in the physical presence of a faculty member. Non-contact hours are reading, written assignments, some case studies, design of practicum and any personal practices.
- Techniques Training (TT) and practice consists of learning how to teach and practice traditional yoga techniques including asana, pranayama, kriya, mantra, meditation, bandha, and mudra. This discipline includes 100 contact hours and 10 non-contact hours.
- Teaching Methodology (TM)consists of the principles of demonstration, observation, assisting, correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, the student’s process of learning, and business aspects of teaching yoga. This discipline includes 40 contact hours and 5 non-contact hours.
- Anatomy and Physiology (A&P) consists of human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, etc.) and Yogic energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.) This discipline includes 50 contact hours and 5 non-contact hours. It includes both the study of the subject and application of its principles to yoga practice (benefits, contraindications, healthy movement patterns, etc).
- Yoga Philosophy/Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers (PLE) consists of the study of yoga philosophies, yoga lifestyle, and ethics for yoga teachers. This discipline includes 70 contact hours and 5 non-contact hours. The philosophy portion of the training will include the reading and discussion of ancient yoga texts. Text commentaries are discussed in a group setting to explore the core philosophies of Yoga and how they can be applied to everyday life (“yoga off the mat”). Students are encouraged to explore their own personal connection to the teaching and examine the integration of yogic philosophy into their classes.
- Practicum (PR) consists of practice teaching, receiving feedback, observing others teaching and hearing/giving feedback. This discipline consists of 10 contact hours and 15 non-contact hours.
UTSY Programs Upcoming
A Yoga Retreat and Optional Training
with Ali Szarzynski and Tammy Limbach
Feb 13 - 19, 2017
Meditation + Embodiment
Step into your own sense of aliveness: The place where questioning doesn’t exist, yet curiosity is boundless. The place inside of you that feels whole, wise, and satisfied. The place of freedom and solidity, where your feet know roots on sacred earth and you are awake in luminescent presence.
Immerse yourself for a whole week in the gorgeous mountains of Ecuador. You are invited to participate in sacred ceremony, meditations, movement work, 3 organic meals a day, volcano excursions, local hiking, and more. At the heart of this retreat lies the opportunity to delve deeper into your own relationship with Self.
Our yoga will include exploration into the fields of meditation and embodiment. Meditation practices will include themes of clearing, forgiveness and integration. Embodiment practices will include discussion of meaning, creation of awareness, and using it as a tool for personal alignment. While we aim to create space for the personal journey, there will also be opportunity to connect with one another, nature and the culture and community of the Imbabura Province of northwestern Ecuador.
Join Ali and Tammy for a week-long yoga retreat with option of advanced teacher training at the beautiful SachaJÍ resort (http://www.mysachaji.com/). “SachaJÍ, which means “Beloved Mountain”, is a space for you to come in contact with nature, the Andean culture, art, architecture, and most importantly yourself.”
Optional Teacher Training: Additional hours that comprise the Embodiment and Meditation Modules of UTSY’s 300HR Teacher Training can be included for an additional $300. Students will participate in extra training hours during the retreat, including lecture, and receive take-home information and assignments. This optional teacher training is available to Advanced Trainees, yoga teachers and anyone who who would like to spend more time deepening their practice. 50HRS of CECs and modular credit are available for UTSY Trainees and yoga teachers.
Pricing: Shared Room: $1600 before Dec 1st, $1800 thereafter
Single Room: $2000 before Dec 1st, $2100 thereafter
Weekend option: $600 for Shared Room (Friday Evening - Sunday Morning)
$500 Deposit to hold your spot.
You can pay online: https://www.paypal.me/tammylimbach
Or by check: 231 E Buffalo St. Suite 304 Milwaukee, WI 53202
The Nuts and Bolts of Teaching
with Sean Haleen and Ali Szarynski
Union Tree School of Yoga offers a module to grow your teaching skills and explore alignment in poses.
As teachers, we want to communicate clearly and effectively to our students. The more "tools" we have to illustrate our teaching and the more refined our instruction is, the more powerful our teaching becomes. This weekend will cover essential teaching aspects such as demonstrations, languaging, holding space, and many other topics. We will also spend each afternoon exploring alignment of Asana in an extended practice designed to help you better understand how the body works in movement.
A UTSY 500HR Teacher Training Module
Open to all yoga teachers with 20HRS of Continuing Education Credits available.
Schedule: Friday: 5pm-9pm
Saturday: 830am-1230pm and 130pm-530pm
Sunday: 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm
Price: $325 for UTSY Trainees, $350 for drop-in
*To join Union Tree School of Yoga's 500HR Program go to uniontreeschoolofyoga.com